Top Pharmacy Colleges in India 2022
Pharmacy is a Science that links Medical Sciences with Chemistry. This field of Health Science plays an enormous role in the testing, discovery, production, research and use of medicines and drugs. The Pharmacy courses provide the students with an understanding of different aspects of medicines, drugs, chemical structure, formulation, etc. The rapid growth in the Pharmaceutical industry and research has led to an increase of students interest in the Pharmacy field as a profession. Pharmacy courses are a gateway to the Healthcare and Medical industry. The programmes consist of subjects such as Pharmaceuticals, Pharmacology, Pharmacovigilance, Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Pharmacognosy and are approved by the PCI (Pharmacy Council of India) and AICTE (All India Council of Technical Education), New Delhi.
Aspirants who wish to pursue a career in Pharmaceuticals industry must have the following skill-sets:
- Medicinal and scientific research skills
- Curiosity and persuasive skills
- Communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Adaptation ability
- Therapeutic and counselling skills
- Medical writing and ethics
- Business skills such as marketing and organising
- Technical skills
- Sharp memory and good knowledge
- Determinant and consistency
India is home to some of the top-rated colleges/ universities to pursue Pharmacy courses like Jamia Hamdard University (Delhi), Punjab University – PUCHD (Chandigarh), National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research S.A.S. Nagar (Punjab), Institute of Chemical Technology (ICT Mumbai), National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (Hyderabad), Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS Pilani), Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences (Manipal), National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (Ahmedabad), JSS College of Pharmacy, JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research (Ooty), JSS College of Pharmacy, JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research (Mysore), etc.
There are over 1,800 Pharmacy colleges in India that offer a full-time and part-time mode of study. These colleges provide degree, diploma and certificate courses. Out of these the top 20 Pharmacy colleges in India ranked by NIRF offer degree courses in a full-time mode of study.
The top-rated Pharmacy colleges in India offer different types of courses. Over 1,300 colleges offer BPharma course, 750 offer MPharma course, 690 offer UG Diploma and 217 offer Pharm D course.
Pharmacy Courses Admission Eligibility Criteria
Pharmacy courses can be pursued at Diploma, UG, PG and PhD levels. The eligibility criteria differs as per the course selected by the candidate. However, given below is a broad eligibility criteria for Diploma, UG, PG and PhD Pharmacy courses for the reference of candidates:
Diploma (DPharma): Candidates must have passed Class 10 with Science subjects i.e. Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics.
UG level (BPharma): Candidates must have passed Class 12 with a combination of either Physics, Chemistry and Biology or Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics and secured at least 50% aggregate score from a recognised board. The course is of four years duration.
PG level (MPharma): Candidates must have passed BPharma with at least 50% aggregate score from a pharmacy college as approved by the Pharmacy Council of India (PCI). The course is of two years duration.
6-year Pharm D course:
- Candidates must have completed 10+2 level of education from any state/national education board. They must have studied Physics and Chemistry as compulsory subjects with Mathematics or Biology as additional subjects. They must have completed 17 years of age in the year of admission. Or
- Candidates holding a diploma in pharmacy are also eligible for Pharm. D course provided they fulfill all other conditions as well.
3-year Pharm D course (Post Baccalaureate) –
- Candidates passed in Bachelor of Pharmacy course from an institute recognized under Pharmacy Council of India are eligible for Pharm. D course.
- They must have completed higher secondary education i.e. 10+2 or equivalent with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics or Biology subjects.
Apart from merit-based admission, the Pharmacy colleges in India conduct entrance exams for admission to Pharmacy courses like MHT CET, AP EAMCET, TS EAMCET, KEAM, WBJEE, KCET, HPCET, OJEE, BITSAT, etc.
Although there are plenty of Pharmacy colleges in India there a few top ones that have been listed by NIRF.
Following is a list of top 10 Pharmacy colleges in India ranked NIRF under the Pharmacy category:
Here is the list of some of the top private and public Pharmacy colleges in India:
Course Fee (in Rs lakh)
JSS College of Pharmacy, JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research, Ooty
JSS College of Pharmacy, JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research, Mysore
Course Fee (in Rs)
Jamia Hamdard University, Delhi
Career Scope for Pharmacy Students
The Pharmaceuticals field offers multiple job opportunities to the students. They can get jobs in various government sectors as well as private sectors. Pharmacy graduates can get jobs in hospitals, medical showrooms, clinics or work as a pharmacist by putting up a private business. Some of the job profiles that are offered to Pharmacy professionals include:
- Pharmaceutical Scientist
- Retail Pharmacist
- Pharmaceutical Financial Analyst
- Pharmacy Manager
- Medical Writer
- Drug Inspector
- Clinical Research Associate
- Quality Control Associate
- Pharmaceutical Sales/Marketing Executive
NIRF ' 22
Fees: ₹ 4.80 Lakh | Salary : ₹ 3.90 Lakh
NIRF ' 22